Courthouse Established in 1847
  • 100 North State St. Ste 101
    Abbeville, LA 70510
  • Office (337) 898-1992Fax (337) 898-4556
  • Mon - Fri 8:30 - 4:30Sat - Sun CLOSED

Our Office

Our Mission Statement

Our office tries to make things better while, at the same time, making things cheaper.

We will continue to do the job that we were appointed to accomplish on-top of gearing toward streamlining everything we do for you.

Message from the Clerk of Court
About the Courthouse

The present courthouse is in the heart of Abbeville’s central business district. It is the most massive and distinctive building in the downtown area.

This structure is the third courthouse building to be located on this site. In 1847 a wooden structure was erected on property donated by our city’s founder, Father Antoine Megret.

Following the Civil War the courthouse fell into disrepair and succumbed to a fire in 1885. A replacement began in 1890 and lasted until 1951 when it was deemed too small to serve the needs of the parish. It was replaced by the A. Hays Town designed building at a cost of $725,884.00. The dedication ceremonies were held on May 30, 1952. The facade features a portico based on the typical Greek temple.
The rear facade is patterned after the Classic Revival Louisiana plantation home. It has an eight column veranda with an outside staircase. At the left side is a secondary entrance with an “old New Orleans” cast iron portico. The body of the building is brick and is entered through a vestibule which contains a free standing circular stairway to the second floor courtrooms.